Work experience placements
In Calderdale and Kirklees, work experience is an important part of students' education
Want to get involved?
We need placements with all kinds of employers for local young people in Year 10 or Year 11 when students are aged 14 or 15. You can get involved as little or as much as suits your company, take part once a year or more often by offering one or several placements, usually between September and July - just complete our short online form at the bottom of this page
Creating the workforce of the future - an employers guide view online (172kb SWF) or print (172kb PDF).
See also information on extended work experience - an employers guide for students needing additional support view online (165kb SWF) or print (186kb PDF).
There are lots of reasons for getting involved, including:
- playing your part in preparing a young person for the future workforce
- helping young people and schools be better informed about your sector
- building links with local schools
- considering someone for a part-time job or full-time work after they leave school
- making the local community more aware of your company
Important things you need to know, like:
- what makes a good placement for the student and you
- practicalities, such as insurance, safety, and supervision
- Government legislation covering work experience and Health & Safety Executive information - see 'More to explore' on the right
We make sure you, schools and students are well prepared by:
- visiting your company to explain the aim of work experience and answer your questions
- ensuring ALL the necessary paperwork is completed by everyone involved well before the placement starts
- if you wish, arranging for you to meet or interview the young person before they start
- encouraging schools to teach students about work and prepare them for work experience
- helping young people and their parents think about the sort of placement that will meet their needs and interests
- supporting teachers to briefly visit students on placement