What does volunteering involve?
It's about spending some of your free time doing something that helps other people, the community or the environment
... you don't get paid but you will gain lots of other things
If you volunteer you'll:
- be helping your local community
- meet new people - helping some of them
- get some useful work experience
- increase your confidence
- feel good about helping other people
- give you something to put on a CV or in an application form and talk about at interview.
All kinds of people feel better about themselves after volunteering.
Whoever you are there is always something you can do to help others, listening to someone or making them a cup of tea can be enough to help someone. There is a volunteer job for everyone and if you're worried or you need some help to volunteer, that's available too.
You can choose from a range of volunteering jobs that use your existing skills and/or help you develop new skills. The amount of time you volunteer is up to you, there are all kinds of volunteer opportunities where you can help during the week, at weekends, during the day or in the evenings.
You don't need to provide anything, you should be provided with the tools or equipment needed to do your volunteering. And other than getting to the organisation, it shouldn't cost you anything - some charities may even have funding to help volunteers get to and from their organisation. If you work with children and some adults you may need to be DBS checked to make sure you are the right kind of person to do this work.
Why not contact one of the following to find out more:
- If you're 16 or 17, check out the National Citizen Service
- Calderdale Voluntary Action - health and care-related volunteering with people who may have a disability, are ill or need other support
- NBF Sector Support Calderdale - volunteering available across a range of organisations
- Volunteering Kirklees
- Prince's Trust
- Volunteering Matters
- International Service - international opportunities for 18 to 25 year olds. Costs are funded by the UK Government
Need extra support to volunteer?
- Gateway Volunteer Service offers supported volunteering.
If you need it, volunteers may be able to help you too:
Page updated November 2017