Job search help
Help finding a job
As well as our , you can find vacancies advertised in newspapers, on job search and company websites and Jobcentre Plus. Many jobs are never advertised, so you should ask your family, friends and local employers about vacancies, and where possible leave some information about yourself, such as your CV.
Below is information on letters of application and writing a CV. There is also information on job hunting in , including help with CVs, application forms and going for an interview, ask your careers adviser or teacher for the code to login. You can also use social media to find jobs but before you do, watch this National Careers Service video to make sure you avoid the pitfalls.
Need a CV?A CV is a statement about you and what you can do. Use it to tell an employer why they should think about interviewing you, including your:
- Work experience
- Personal characteristics
- Academic and other achievements
Don’t underestimate yourself but be sure you can prove what you say. Think about what is most important to the type of employer you want to work for AND think about the order you say things in. It should be no more than two sides of A4 and clearly set out, using headings, spaces and bullet points.
We look for people who like to solve problems ... and talk to each other to improve processes. Manager, Cummins Huddersfield.
Choose the right template for you:
Tip: if you're adding a CV to a jobsite or employer website you're not sure about don't include personal information like your NI number or address, or the name and address of your referee(s)
I have little or no work experience
I have done lots of different jobs
I've got experience but want to apply for a job I have never done before
I want to continue in the type of job I've done before
Try some of these other sources of help
- National Careers Service Careers Yorkshire and Humber - for over 18s with experience of work, go to Job Market Publications followed by Job Market Resources, then scroll down to A guide to CVs
- Search Careers info for 'CVs'
- There are CV tips on Universal Jobmatch - you need to create an account first
- Get Safe Online - advice on protecting your information, identity and staying safe
- Check out this example of an interactive CV, sometimes called a resume, produced by Robby Leonardi
Need help writing a covering letter or spec letter to send with your CV or application form?
- Covering and spec letters, including for an apprenticeship if you're in Y11
- Covering and spec letters if you’re aged between 16 and 19
- Covering and spec letters if you’re aged 19 and over
- Letter of application
(4kb to 113kb PDF)
Find your nearest work club
Page updated end of July 2017