Choosing your options
Your school will ask you to choose the subjects you'll study in Year 10 and Year 11...
...during Year 8 or Year 9
There's lots of support and information to help you choose - tell us what you think about Directions 2017 - our options booklet
At your school's option choice evening your:
- teachers will tell you about the qualifications on offer, what they cover and how you will be examined
- school careers adviser from C&K Careers will also be there to explain how your choices can affect your future career plans.
- Most jobs don't ask for specific GCSEs or other qualifications. Some ask for English, maths and sometimes science but you have to study these anyway.
- Choose subjects you enjoy and do well in, think about new subjects and the importance of each to your career ideas.
- Think about the type of person you are, rather than what your friends want to do, the teachers you like or whether you are a boy or girl.
- Do your research – into qualifications and careers.
- Not all GCSE subjects will be offered by your school but most will.
- Login and search for information on subjects, your career ideas and Directions, our Year 8 and Year 9 workbook:
Directions - choosing your options in Year 8 and 9, which includes the things you need to think about.
Page updated September 2016