Options after Year 11?
Before choosing you need to think about a few things
How do you learn? What kind of person are you? What are you good at... interested in? What exam results are you likely to get?
- Use the information below to start you thinking
- Talk to the people that know you...
- And your C&K careers school or college adviser.
- See the 'More to explore' website links
Don't forget Raising the Participation Age means you must now stay in training or learning until you are 18.
The fact that I'm 15 and am being asked to make huge choices that dictate the rest of my life. I can't drive, drink etc but I'm expected to decide the course of my existence - the decisions I make now will affect what outcomes I will experience in the future. Year 11 student, commenting on the importance of careers guidance.
Your options are:
- Full-time learning in a school sixth form, sixth form college, FE (further education) college, with a training provider or UTC (university technical college) – also look at general information on qualifications
- Employment such as an apprenticeship or a job with training. Ready to apply? Then check out our
- Part-time education or training whilst running your own business, working part-time for at least 20 hours or volunteering in Calderdale or Kirklees.
Quick guide to your options after year 11 - in Calderdale and Kirklees(779kb SWF) Updated 16 January 2018
School and college open events and application closing dates 2017/18
(62kb PDF) updated October 2017
The Government is encouraging more young people to study STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) subjects because they will give you the skills you need for a wide range of jobs but remember it's important to make sure you choose a course or subjects that you like and are good at. Check out the Your Life website to see the careers available when you study science and maths
Get organised 2018: a guide to your post-16 options
Get Ahead - career and learning options at Entry level and Level 1
Options after Year 11
Check out our video on your choices are after Year 11 or read it (49kb PDF).
Timing is important
Need to contact us?
Your C&K Careers school or college careers adviser can help and advise you – get in touch with the careers team in school/college.
- Ring 01484 225500 and press '0' to speak to someone who can help
Get in touch with your nearest centre:
Page updated January 2018