Certificates and diplomas - Level 4 and above
BTEC and other Certificates and Diplomas
Certificates and diplomas are vocational and work-related qualifications. They may be studied full-time or part-time at a range of levels. Part-time courses may form part of a higher apprenticeship.
Certificate of Higher Education (CHE) - Level 4 Qualification:
- offered at universities, colleges and further education colleges (accredited by a higher education institution) on a full-time or part-time basis
- part-time study usually over two years, comparable to one year full-time degree level study
- progression can be to a diploma or degree.
Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) - Level 5 Qualification:
- a vocational qualification in subjects, such as nursing and youth and community work
- usually two year full-time, comparable to two years study of a degree
- offered by universities, colleges and further education colleges (accredited by a higher education institution).
BTEC Higher National Certificate and Higher National Diploma (HNC/HND):
- offered by universities, colleges, further education colleges (accredited by a higher education institution).
- cover vocational subjects such as art and design, business, engineering, construction
- can be studied part-time if you are in a related job
- institutions set their own entry requirements but qualifications at level 3 or evidence of recent study is usually required.
- you may, with further study, be able to top this up to a degree.
Look on GOV.UK for what different qualification levels mean.
Page updated November 2017