Full-time learning after Year 11
Colleges, sixth forms and training providers offer some or all of the following types of full-time courses:
- Job specific - in subjects such as childcare, engineering, catering, motor vehicle or construction, for example joinery. They usually lead to NVQ or VQ qualifications.
- Practical/vocational (or work-related) - in broader career-related courses, such as art and design, health and social care or business. Good if you like projects and course work. They lead to qualifications, such as BTECs, Cambridge Nationals or Cambridge Technicals or A levels in applied subjects.
- Academic - in a broad range of subjects, such as history, French or maths. Good if you like to study and you do well in exams. They lead to qualifications, such as A levels.
Look at Qualifications to find out more.
You can study at:
- Sixth form colleges and school sixth forms/ University Technical colleges (UTCs) and studio schools offer level 2 and 3 courses, including GCSEs and A levels, as well as some practical/vocational qualifications - see 'More to explore' on the right for a list of where you can choose to study.
- Colleges of further education offer many job specific and practical/vocational courses at a range of levels but they don't always offer academic qualifications, such as A levels
- Training providers offer job specific and practical/vocational courses, mainly at entry levels, and level 1 and 2. They also offer apprenticeships at Level 2, Level 3 and above.
I’ve found college completely different from school, but in a good way. I like the feel of the college I attend and also the different facilities such as the coffee shops and dining area. One surprise has been the amount of work I need to complete on my Level 3 BTEC (63kb PDF)Read more from Beth
Check out local schools, colleges and training provider websites and see 'More to explore' on the right of this page to find out more about local schools and colleges. If you want to study in Kirklees you can also look for courses on
- the Kirklees e-prospectus
Some specialist courses are only available at colleges in the region – Burnley, Manchester Leeds and elsewhere, for example some agriculture, building trades or music courses. Search FindFE and talk to your careers adviser in school or college.
Full-time learning option after Year 11
Check out our short video on full-time learning or # read about all your options after Year 11 (49kb PDF).
Page updated August 2019