Full-time learning after Year 11

Student carrying booksColleges, schools with sixth forms, sixth form colleges and training providers offer some or all of the following types of full-time courses:

  • Job specific - in subjects such as childcare, engineering, catering, motor vehicle or construction, for example joinery.  They usually lead to NVQ or VQ qualifications.
  • Practical/vocational (or work-related) - in broader career-related courses, such as art and design, health and social care or business.  Good if you like projects and course work.  They lead to qualifications, such as BTECs, Cambridge Nationals or Cambridge Technicals, and AS and A levels in applied subjects.
  • Academic - in a broad range of subjects, such as history, French or maths.  Good if you like to study and you do well in exams.  They lead to qualifications, such as AS and A levels. 

Look at Qualifications to find out more.

    • Sixth form colleges and school sixth forms/UTCs and studio schools offer level 2 and 3 courses, including GCSEs, As and A levels, as well as some practical/vocational qualifications
    • Colleges of further education offer many job specific and practical/vocational courses at a range of levels but they don't always offer academic qualifications, such as A levels
    • Training providers offer job specific and practical/vocational courses, mainly at entry levels, and level 1 and 2. They also offer apprenticeships at Level 2, Level 3 and above.

Female student

Case study

Beth Wilby

I’ve found college completely different from school, but in a good way. I like the feel of the college I attend and also the different facilities such as the coffee shops and dining area. One surprise has been the amount of work I need to complete on my Level 3 BTEC (63kb PDF)

Read more from Beth

Check out local schools, colleges and training provider websites and see 'More to explore' on the top right of this page to find out more about local schools and colleges. If you want to study in Kirklees you can also look for courses on  UCAS Progress

Some specialist courses are only available at colleges in the region – Burnley, Manchester Leeds and elsewhere, for example some agriculture, building trades or music courses. Check FindFE, search UCAS Progress and talk to your careers adviser in school or college.


Full-time learning option after Year 11

Check out our short video on full-time learning or read about all your options after Year 11 (49kb PDF).

Page updated May 2018

Our careers advisers are based at:

Head Office
C & K Careers Ltd
78 John William Street

T: 01484 225500
F: 08724 464511