Money for learning 16+
Full-time courses at Level 3 and below are usually free for 16 to 19 year olds. You will have to pay for your travel, books and on some courses, specialist equipment.
Students aged 19+ may have to pay some or all of the costs depending on the course level, the level of qualification they have and their circumstances. Advanced Learner Loans are available to students aged 19 or over, studying an approved course at Level 3 up to and including Level 6. For some courses over 18s may also be able to look at getting a Professional and Career Development Loan
Apprentices get at least the National Minimum Wage for apprentices and many get more.
Trainees may get help with travel and meals and may be able to apply for other learning support.
Other help includes...
- 16-19 bursaries; also Discretionary Learner Support – schools, colleges and training providers may help with some costs if you're struggling, so ask them
- Care to Learn for young parents
- Residential Bursary Fund if you're course isn't available locally – see individual college websites
- Residential Support Scheme if your course is too far away for you to live at home
- Dance and Drama Awards for courses at one of 19 specialist colleges
- Help from charities:
- Turn2Us - sources of charitable grants for anyone facing financial hardship
- Stand Alone - support for anyone estranged from their family
- Prince's Trust - help for some young people towards course costs
- Family Action - help for some young people towards additional costs of study
- The Student Room - offers financial support and other advice for students
For higher education student support, see the information on the Year 13 thining of HE page.
You can also contact your local council:
In Calderdale T: 01422 399367
In Kirklees T: 01484 22100
for information about Kirklees Passports, which offer help to eligible students studying on a full or part-time post-16 education course
Get organised 2019 - a guide to your post-16 options
Get ahead 2019 - career and learning options at Entry level and Level 1
Need to contact us?
Your C&K Careers school or college careers adviser can help and advise you – get in touch with the careers team in school/college.
- Ring 01484 225500 and press '0' to speak to someone who can help
Page updated January 2018