News for students and parents
So we can keep you and our staff safe, we have stopped face to face contact and our careers advisers are now offering advice and support over the phone and online to students and their parents and carers.
We've launched our new Chat service ...
... offering you different ways to get in touch. We’ll support you to figure out your next steps, so whatever is on your mind, get information, advice, support and guidance via our Chat service. Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Thursday 9am to 8pm.
Ring 01484 213856
Look out for Facebook Messenger at the bottom right of the page
Want to talk to a careers advisers from one of our centres?
- Huddersfield - 01484 213855
- Dewsbury - 01924 683911
- Halifax - 01422 754300
Check out our animation and Be kind to yourself! - 27 April 2020
Meet me and my friends below too
- What are you most worried about during lockdown? Have your say on our Vote at the bottom of ckcareersonline home page - New 4 May 2020
Catch up with what's happening in the world of careers, read issue 1 of Chat, our newsletter for you (68kb PDF) - 21 May 2020
- C&K Labour Market & Careers News for Calderdale and Kirklees Issue 50, June 2020, (453kb PDF) - New 4 June 2020
- Careers in allied health professions free webinars covering art, drama, music, speech, and physiotherapies, dietitian, podiatrist, ragiographer and more for Y6 up to Y13 - 1 May 2020
- Colleges and sixth form admissions across Calderdale, Kirklees and the wider area - updated regularly
- Apprenticeships and training offers across Calderdale, Kirklees and the wider area - updated regularly
- Calderdale College’s maths and English department has been working on a Lockdown Time Capsule Booklet, which is open to its current students and any Year 11s thinking of going joing in September. Competiton details (1.16MB PDF): - New 1 June 2020
- the booklets will be judged on correct spelling, punctuation and calculations. The effort you put in to completion and the originality of your content.
- the winners will be invited to help decide what should be included in the time capsule in addition to the winning booklets and will be invited to the internet ceremony alongside local dignitaries
- the time capsule will remain buried for 10 years, so that a future generation of students and teachers can read about this unique moment in history
- the closing date for booklets to be returned is 22 June 2020. Winners will be announced 3 July 2020.
- WEA (Workers Educational Association) is offering a range of courses and taster courses, in lots of subjects from art, English, maths, English for other language speakers, community, health, history, languages, writing, sciences and more. See Live online learning - New 2 June 2020
- The government has produced guidance on working safely W: www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19 - 18 May 2020
- The National Careers Service is holding Live Q&As every Wednesday 6pm to 9pm on Twitter, see also see its Facebook page - 30 April 2020
- UCAS update - includes under 'Updates for students', information on applications and virtual open days - 1 April 2020
UCAS has opened applications for students hoping to start university in 2021. You can explore subjects and location guides, attend a virtual open event and chat to a uni student - 22 May 2020
Clearing Plus will offer a new personalised service to match undergraduate applicants without a place to relevant courses with vacancies - 12 May 2020
See also Unitaster days supported by HELOA, the professional association of Higher Education staff - weekly university guidance webinars #UTDIAG - 28 April 2020
Is a tech degree for me? - an open chat on 10 June, on the hour between 4pm and 7pm. Learn about digital careers and Tech Industry Gold degrees. Science A levels NOT essential. Q&As with employers and past students. Book now - 22 May 2020
Going into Y12 in September and hoping to study medicine or dentistry? - the UCAT practice tests are avaiable now. Currently UCAT (University Clinical Aptitude Test) is not sure when the tests will run and expect testing to begin later than normal, for the latest information - 28 May 2020
The Cambridge BMAT practice tests for biomedical courses are also available. Information about this and other Cambridge tests during the current crisis can be found on the website - 28 May 2020
- Details on GCSE and A level exams and grades - from Ofqual the government's exam regulator. Decisions by Ofqual on how vocational, technical and other general qualifications are to be assessed are still being finalised -17 April 2020
- See also the OCR exam board's brief guide and this *Ofqual video explaining how exams will be marked - updated 2 June 2020
*Taken a vocational, technical or general qualification in 2020? Use Ofqual's Qualification Explainer Tool to find out how it will be marked and your final grade will be worked out
- A level results will be available on Thursday 13 August - 16 April 2020
GCSE results will be available on Thursday 20 August
- Check out our Careers website and resources page - 21 April 2020
Careers story and advice from Bejay, a 24 year old entrepreneur on the Careers & Enterprise Company Work It YouTube channel - 27 May 2020
- BBC bitesize - daily lessons for primary, secondary and sixth form post 16 students - 20 April 2020
Online Classroom - subject lessons for year groups from reception to Y10 from Oak National Academy -27 May 2020
See also the government's Skills Toolkit - free online digital and numeracy courses - 28 April 2020
The Open University is offering free short courses across a range of subjects for those of you who want to explorer subjects, do a short course and get evidence to show it - 5 May 2020
MSE’s Academy of Money - new free course from the Open University and MoneySavingExpert (MSE) to give you the skills and knowledge to manage your finances - 28 May 2020
Prince's Trust - New 4 June 2020
Wellbeing sessions held over four weeks, explore how wellbeing is important in our lives, mental and physical health, money, positivity and positive relationships. Starts Thursday 11 June, 1pm to 2pm.
Live, Learn and Earn sessions, which explore employability skills, communication, confidence, money management and general well-being. Starts Tuesday 16 June, 11am to 12noon/midday.
Both are available to 16 to 30 year olds, living within Yorkshire and Humber. Please note it is NOT necessary to attend every session of either course. To find out more about joining, contact C&K Chat.
- Askham Bryan College and the Prince's Trust is offering an eight week Confidence Skills qualification from entry level 3 up to Level 2 (GCSE grade 4 equivalent) for 16 to 18 year olds in Calderdale and Kirklees. Students will get a £30 bursary. Starts Monday 22 June - 12 May 2020
- Fusion Housing's community learning is now online, courses cover a range of topics, including cooking, nutrition, and health and wellbeing. You must be 19 years or over, live in Kirklees, unemployed or working less than 16 hours a week to join a course.
- Volunteers Week - 1 to 7 June, see Twitter:@vckirklees @tslkirklees Facebook @vkirklees @Thirdsectorleaderskirklees - New 4 June 2020
- Amazing Apprenticeships 50 support activities for apprentices, training providers and employers. Amazing has also updated its ASK (Apprenticeship and Support and Knowledge) programme for schools and colleges - 28 April 2020
- Current apprentices, employers and training providers - important information and advice from the government
- Want to [re]boot your career? - online digital courses to boost your skills offered by Leeds Trinity University and West Yorkshire Consortium of Colleges. For anyone over 18, employed or furloughed and living in Calderdale, Kirklees, Bradford, Craven, Harrogate, Leeds, Selby, Wakefield or York - 19 May 2020
- Need information, support and advice about coronavirus or other things you're worried about? - Updated 19 May 2020
- *Listening Works national helpline - support for care leavers, open 6pm to 12midnight T: 0808 802 0222 Text: 07860 065 169 Webchat: www.family-action.org.uk/listening-works
- Live in Calderdale? Contact:
- Time Out Listening Line provided by Healthy Minds - support for 10 to 19 year olds in Calderdale during the lock down. T: 01422 345154, open Wednesdays 1pm to 4pm
- Open Minds - go to the Coronovirus link on the Calderdale Council site. Open Minds offers information, as well as emotional support and counselling
- *Community response for vulnerable people
- Live in Kirklees? - 14 April 2020
- Thriving Kirklees - informastion and support for young people and families 24hrs/7days a week T: 0300 304 5555
- Community Response helpline - say what you need help with, or how you can help others T: 01484 226919, open 8am to 6pm weekdays
- *Community response for vulnerable people
- LGBT Foundation is offering remote service support. See its website or contact the helpline 0345 3 303030 - 28 April 2020
- Coranavirus Anxiety Workbook - tools and techniques for dealing with coronavirus anxiety for the Wellness Society (547kb PDF) - 23 April 2020
- Coping during the COVID-19 lockdown - we'd like to share with you some things to help you find something positive every day (123kb PDF) - 6 April 2020
- Benefits - employment and benefits support, including Universal Credit, sick pay, furlough and more - updated regularly. Other support for employees, benefit claimants and businesses - updated 18 May 2020. Important: do NOT go into the Jobcentre unless asked to do so
- The University of Bradford is running a series of webinars for Y10 and Y11 students from 27 April onwards - 21 April 2020
The University of Leeds - online presentations and resources for school and college students and Future learn STEM taster courses (science, technology, engineering and maths) - 18 May 2020
Falmouth University - why creative courses at uni webinars for Year 11 and 12 students - 7 May 2020
- Employee annual leave entitlement - new government regulations -1 April 2020