Year 11 student
Year 11 is when students must make some important decisions...
...about their options after Year 11, while completing their course work and taking final exams.
They must decide between:
- staying in full-time learning either in a school sixth form, sixth form college, further education college or with a training provider*
- training, such as an apprenticeship, traineeship, supported internship*
- full-time work or volunteering for 20 hours or more AND part-time accredited study.*
*Important: Young people in Year 11 have to stay in learning until they are 18, due to the Government Raising the Participation Age (RPA). RPA is about making sure young people develop the skills employers need to compete in a global economy.
Careers advisers from C&K Careers work in most Calderdale and Kirklees schools and colleges. Advisers:
- see students individually or in groups. Offer drop-in sessions over break or lunchtimes and attend school parents evenings
- help with applications for full-time courses, jobs/apprenticeships and training
- offer help with job search.
You can help too by:
- talking to them about their ideas and their study progress – research suggests parents and carers are the single biggest influence on young people's career choices
- helping them consider what each option means, so they choose the route that best suites their skills and their future plans
- encouraging them to work hard to get the best exam results they can, this will increase their choices.
Important: sixth forms, colleges and employers start recruiting earlier than you think, a few before Christmas but many from January onwards - check with the school careers adviser.
Parents and carers of students choosing their post 16 options will get a copy of our guide to career and learning options at 16 at events or on request through the school or college's careers adviser
Decisions in Year 11, 2020 - a guide for parents and carers to post-16 options
Get Organised 2020 - a guide to your post-16 options
Get Ahead 2020 - Entry level and level 1 opportunities
Need to contact us?
Get in touch with the careers team in school
- Ring 01484 242000 and ask for your careers adviser by name or press '0' to speak to someone who can help
Get in touch with your nearest centre:
Page updated January 2018