Careers websites and resources for students
Below are links to some websites to help you with planning your career ...
... whether you are unsure of what you want to do, are looking for an apprenticeship, need help with your CV or are considering going to university. There's also lots more on the other pages of ckcareersonline.
If you need more help or have questions, don’t forget there are lots of ways you can contact one of our careers advisers – see the ‘Need more help’ section below.
Tip: Can't see what you're looking for when scrolling down, use Ctrl F to search for key words on this page, for example, search for 'skills', 'ideas', 'careers', 'decisions', 'options', 'apprenticeship', 'courses', 'interview', 'university' ...
Also check news for students and parents for updates on how we can help and what is happening in careers employment and training
Make the most of your free time - need something to do while you're off school or college? (131kb PDF). See also BBC Bitesize daily lessons for primary, secondary and sixth form students
Unsure of what to do? Need help thinking about your career ideas?
These quizzes ask about your skills and interests, to help you find a career that's right for you.
- Suits me quiz in Jed – you will need a code to access Jed, if you don’t know the code for your school or college contact C&K Careers – see 'Need more help' below
- Career Planner and Job Match activities and career ideas and matching tools
- The Buzz quiz - are you an organised person – do you plan your work or leave it to the last minute? Find out what type of person you are and the types of jobs that might suit you
- Youth Central sessions - if you live in Kirklees and you want to know what’s going to happen when you get to 16, where you can study, what your choices are and more; you can book a live session with C&K careers advisers - register now on Youth Central - there are lots of activities and individual advice from youth workers too
Start thinking about your skills and qualities
- Need help to get you you started? Download our skills and qualities help sheet and save to your desktop, to get started (388kb PDF).
Need information about a specific career?
If you have career in mind but would like to find out more about it – such as how you get into it, the skills you need or how much you will get paid, these websites will provide the information you need.
- Explore Careers from the National Careers Service
- Job Profiles from Prospects
- Find out more about STEM careers (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths)
Looking for a job or apprenticeship?
These websites will provide you with all the information you need when looking for a job or apprenticeship – from where to look, how to apply and what you might be asked at an interview.
- You may need a CV – look at our guide to writing a CV. Once you have completed your CV – send it to one of our advisers to check it over! (452kb PDF).
- Help to get a job – general information about getting a job – including where to look for vacancies, how to fill in an application form and help with interviews
- What is an apprenticeship? – general information about apprenticeships
- Find an apprenticeship – for apprenticeship vacancies
- Check out our Recruitline vacancies
- If you are looking for an apprenticeship after you have finished level 3 qualifications, such as A levels or a BTEC National – you could consider a higher or degree apprenticeship, find out more from Go Higher West Yorkshireabout higher and degree apprenticeships
- Our JobFAQs vacancy directory – has information about companies that have recruited higher and degree apprentices in the past (415kb PDF).
Important note: As trainee vacancies close for this year, some of the links will stop working. Most of the companies recruit apprentices/trainees every year and have other jobs during the year
Looking for a course at college or sixth form
- Search for courses on Get-into, the Kirklees e-prospectus
- Applied for a course and waiting to hear? Check the latest information on admissions to college and sixth forms across Calderdale, Kirklees and the wider area
Thinking about going to university?
UCAS is the University and Colleges Admissions Service and it runs the system you use when applying for higher education courses at university or college. As well as an application system, UCAS also provides lots of general information about higher education.
- Find out more about what studying at university involves, including when and how to apply
- Thinking about going to university but not sure what to study?
- Search for courses at universities and their individual entry requirements
- Look at Prospect's What can I do with my degree? if you are wondering what the subject you are thinking of studying at university may lead to
- UCAS pre-application toolkit - these resources are designed to help you look into going to uni, they include making choices, a mythbuster about HE, the application process, personal statement dos and donts and more - New 21 April 2020
Preparing for an interview
- Many of these Go Higher West Yorkshire tips for interviews are useful for video interviews
- Make the most of your free time - what will you say if you get asked 'What did you do during the coronavirus outbreak'? (131kb PDF)
Are you in Year 8 or 9 and choosing your options?
- Look at our guide on how to choose your options – save to your desktop, work through the guide and fill in your ideas
- Explore careers – check out the subjects you need to take for any careers you are interested in
- Need help thinking of career ideas try taking the Suits me quiz in Jed. In Jed you can also pick subjects and see what careers they may lead to – click on the ‘Subject search’ icon – you will need a code to access Jed, if you don’t know the code for your school or college contact C&K Careers – see 'Need more help' below
Need more help? Get in touch via Chat
There's lots of ways to get in touch and it's open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Ring 01484 213856
Look out for our Facebook Messenger