What does volunteering involve?
It's using your free time to help other people, your community or the environment
... you don't get paid but you will:
- be helping your local community
- meet new people - helping some of them
- get some useful work experience
- increase your confidence
- feel good about helping other people
- give you something to put on a CV or in an application form and talk about at interview.
All kinds of people feel better about themselves after volunteering.
Guess the percentage of young people involved in volunteering
There is always something you can do to help others, listening to someone or making them a cup of tea can be enough. There is a volunteer job for everyone and if you need some help to volunteer, that's available too.
You can choose from a range of volunteering jobs that use your existing skills and/or help you develop new skills. The amount of time you volunteer is up to you - during the week, at weekends, during the day or in the evenings.
You'll be provided with the tools or equipment needed to do your volunteering. And other than getting there, it shouldn't cost you anything - some charities have funding for getting there too. To work with children and some adults you may need to be DBS checked to make sure you are ok to volunteer.
Why not contact one of the following to find out more:
- Do-it - search for volunteering opportumities in your area
- If you're 15 to 17, check out the National Citizen Service
- Calderdale Voluntary Action - local health and care-related volunteering with people who may have a disability, are ill or need other support
- nbf Sector Support Calderdale - contact to find out about volunteering available across a range of organisations
- Volunteering Kirklees - contact to discuss the range of volunteering available
- TCV (The Conservation Volunteers) - community conservation volunteering charity
- Prince's Trust - for 11 to 25 year olds who want develop their skills and experience
- Timebank - volunteering opportunities
- Lattitude Global Volunteering - three to 12 month supported overseas volunteering opportunities across the world for 17 to 25 year olds
Need extra support to volunteer?
- Community Plus offers supported volunteering in Kikrlees
Volunteering option after Year 11
Check out our video on volunteering and studying part-time after Year 11 or read about all your options (49kb PDF).
Other free time contacts:
- Kirklees Young People’s Service ((Integrated Youth Support Service))
- Calderdale Young People’s Service
- Leisure Passports for discounts:
- Calderdale Council T: 01422 288001
- Kirklees Council T: 01484 221000
Page updated April 2019