Choosing your options
Your school will ask you to choose the subjects you'll study in Year 10 and Year 11...
...during Year 8 or Year 9
There's lots of support and information to help you choose - tell us what you think about Directions 2019 - our options booklet
At your school's option choice evening your:
- teachers will tell you about the qualifications on offer, what they cover and how you will be examined
- school careers adviser from C&K Careers will also be there to explain how your choices can affect your future career plans
Also ask about:
- University Technical College UTC that specialise in science, engineering or technical education for 13/14 to 19 year olds, where you can study GCSEs, A levels or other qualifications. The nearest UTCs are:
- Leeds University Technical College (UTC) - specialises in engineering and manufacturing for Year 10 onwards
- Sheffield Olympic Park UTC - specialising in healthcare and sports science/computing for Year 9 or 10 onwards
- Sheffield City Centre UTC - specialising in engineering, creative and digital media for Year 9 or 10 onwards
- Leeds City College also has a 14+ Apprenticeship Academy
- See also Studio Schools and other options on the full-time learning page.
- Most jobs want some GCSEs but don't ask for specific GCSEs or other qualifications. Some ask for English, maths and sometimes science but you have to study these anyway.
- Choose subjects you enjoy and do well in, think about new subjects and the importance of each to your career ideas.
- Think about the type of person you are, rather than what your friends want to do, the teachers you like or whether you are a boy or girl.
- Think about how you like to learn, exams or coursework
- Do your research – into qualifications and careers.
- Not all GCSE subjects will be offered by your school but most will.
The Government is encouraging more young people to study STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) subjects because they will give you the skills you need for a wide range of jobs but remember it's important to make sure you choose a course or subjects that you like and are good at. Check out the Your Life website to see the careers available when you study science and maths.
Directions 2019 - choosing your options in Year 8 and 9, including the things you need to think about.
Page updated November 2017